Album of the Month... February 2015

Eternal Misery by No Zodiac

5 Oct 2011

Expire: 'Suffer the Cycle'


I am a huge fan of Expire’s Demo and their EP Grim Rhythm but the new record Suffer the Cycle is the best material from this band so far. Containing 4 new tracks this EP contains incredibly audacious instrumentals and furious vocals. This is exactly what I was expecting from Expire, I love the sound and the energy that the music gives off, this resulting in being one of the best records this year so far.

Their overall sound is not necessarily original but this has not stopped them from gaining a massive fan base in the hardcore scene. The record contains traditional style hardcore sounds mixed with modern pounding, stomping parts that has a certain metallic edge. Compared to the previous recordings Suffer the Cycle has a much cleaner sound that has especially rubbed off on the vocals. Grim Rhythm, which was released last year, consisted of rougher, raspier sounding vocals. This has slightly changed on the latest release as they are now higher pitched on the screaming. Do not worry though, this does not mean that they have lost their aggressive edge.

Just like the rest of their material the tracks are kept to an average of a minute and a half long which I was disappointed when noticed there were only 4 songs. I wanted more and I still do. I am much looking forward to more material from Expire, hopefully up for release in the not too distant future. Each track is solid, mixing heavy riffs, powerful drum rhythms and punchy bass lines. Although tracks come to abrupt endings, the next in turn kicks in with more punchy tunes leaving the listener far from bored.

Sleep Lost and Grip were my favourites but I am sure some of you will disagree. There were a lot of mixed feelings on this release but mine are all positive. At first I was unsure about it but after a few listens this new EP really grew on me. I recommend listening to it a few times before judging and I am sure if they keep this up the future material will be simply awesome!

Pick up the record here.

No comments:

Post a Comment